Landeshauptstadt Mainz Direkt zum Inhalt
Close to the Roman-Germanic Central Museum stands a replica of the arch built in 1962, while the original resides safely in the Landesmuseum. Located above the arch’s frieze displaying the symbols of the zodiac, sit the ancient reigning gods of antiquity, Jupiter and Juno, enthroned in the center. Later, as the Germanic incursions became an increasing threat even for Moguntiacum, a new city wall was erected in the middle of the 4th Century. In order to speed construction, existing buildings such as temples and walls and graveyard memorials were “re-cycled.” As a result of the cannibalization even stone blocks from the Dativius-Victor Arch were used, solidly implanted in the foundations of the city wall. These blocks were eventually excavated and reassembled between 1898 and 1911. Today the arch stands near the Fichteplatz where it assuredly once stood almost 2,000 years ago.
LocationThe original is to be seen in the Stone Monument Hall of the Landesmuseum, and the replica is at the Ernst-Ludwig-Platz close to the Roman-Germanic Central Museum.